Monday, February 8, 2010

It's a Start... The Standing O is on it's way!

The Story
People say the early bird gets the worm right? Well, I'm trying... I wouldn't necessarily call 7:30am early per say, I know that's the time some people gotta be at work, but It's early for me... So, when I woke up today, the sun was piercing in my room I thought "Oh Shit" I'm late! I proceeded to jump out of bed and make a mad dash for the day. Well, imagine my surprise when I looked at my cell and saw that it was only 7:30am. Huh, how about that. I didn't go back to sleep because my body had naturally woke up, thus meaning... It got sufficient rest and was ready to take on the day yay! I say all this to say... I've been wanting to become an "early" bird for a while now, refer back to Fantasy vs Reality and not saying one day of earlier rising is a mission accomplished, but it's a start...

It is a start...
As I pat myself on the back for what may seem like a rather small accomplishment, I can't help but think how my attitude seems to be changing for the better. There was a point not too long ago where the little moments of success wouldn't seem great or enough. I wouldn't be happy until the BIG PICTURE came together. However, isn't it all the small things that add up to create the big picture? In Acting, there are a lot of small moments of success that I think many of actors dis-regard especially when starting out. Such as, just getting all your ducks in a row to go auditions. Getting that killer monologue, getting great headshots, biz cards etc. Then there are the next successes such as actually going for in for auditions, building a relationship with casting directors and agents. Then on to getting the callbacks, being put on hold, even doing background work. All of these mini accomplishments are not what we got in the biz to do, however... they are starts (steps) to reaching the bigger picture. And maybe they don't deserve a Standing "O", but acknowledgment... a pat on the back to think "yay, I'm doing my thang"...

I still gotta go after the worm
With all that being said, it is the start. There is still the middle and end and they are just as important to acknowledge and celebrate. Especially the middle... but I'm not quite there yet in my pursuit of acting so now is probably not the time to project what I think the middle ground journey is all about... but I am on may way, and I plan to give myself credit where credit is due... even if its for the small things like naturally waking up early.

The Bigger Picture
Ironically, the bigger picture is just a whole bunch of smaller ones that are added up together to create the masterpiece of work called your life. I know there is a saying that goes along the line that its not the end location that matters it's the journey to get there that counts.. .I know I messed that saying all up, I just can't think of how it goes right now, but you get the point. Cherish the small victories in life. If you look at your life on a day by day basis I wouldn't be surprise if you start to pat yourself on the back throughout the day. Sometimes you aren't going to have a crowd around you to cheer you on... so be your own cheerleader, until the Standing Ovation comes.


No comments:

Post a Comment