Saturday, December 19, 2009

Polite vs. A Point of View

The Story
In class, we have the privilege to be "real" (whatever that means to you anymore). We have the right to express our truths as we feel them without being "polite" or politically correct. As I stated before in other entries of my tendencies to "sugar coat" and steer away from conflict and potential uncomfortable moments... in class, however we learn to attack them head on with truth no matter how sweet or sour it may be. It's so interesting to see how many of us, myself included still struggle with this. There was a scene where a girl was crying her eyes out (which appeared to be for show) and instead of saying what he wanted to do which was say "Your tears are pointless to me... or Your crying is driving me insane!!!!" he did the "polite thing" and held her dismissing himself, and his point of view from the scene. He missed out on his moment to come alive, as the teacher stated.

When we see someone not follow the unspoken rules of "politeness ruling over point of view" we can sometimes be angered or taken back. I was on the subway heading to class during morning rush hour train traffic. Steps away from my stop at 42nd street... the subway train stop due to maintenance problems. We were stuck for a good 45 minutes. There was a man about mid 30's who was clearly livid by this but was trying to keep his cool. After asking a lady to move her purse so he could sit down, a young child started crying at the other end of the train. It took less then 2 minitues for this man to get up (with a sigh) save his sit with his coat and march all the way down to the end of the train to "put a stop" to this crying. This whole situation was fueled with points of view. As he took two steps toward the child everyone around reacted with such disgust looking down as he walked toward the child. Some even sighing and asking what nerve. I sat there a little annoyed myself at the man. I thought he was out of place, but at the same time intrigue by his behavior. The crying was annoying everyone I assume, but we did the what's "polite"... we ignore it. With all the huffing and puffing my side of the train did it was interesting that after another minute past the child stopped crying. I peeked down at the train with the man on his knees playing with the kid and making conversation with the guardian. I felt mixed feelings about the whole ordeal. He seemed to care about this kid, because he didn't return to his seat even after the crying had stopped. Moments later the train started, I was at my stop, the man came to get his coat and it appeared to be his stop to... I couldnt help myself I had to ask him something, anything I just really wanted to connect with him for a second plus my curiosity was at a all time high ... I tapped him on his shoulder like I was 4 years old, and I apologized for the intrusion, but I said I had to know... "what do you do in life?"... He said "I am an Actor."

The Bigger Picture
My Acting Classes have me looking at the world differently. I have become more intrigue by my world I live in. The people around me. Moments in life. I read much more about history especially the 60s and 70s when I felt like people voiced their opinions without fear... or maybe they had fear but they voiced it all the same. I can't help but think how many times people have spoken to me with politeness vs telling me what they wanted to say, and vice versa. Now I don't think people should go around being rude at all. And I still think the way you say things can have a polite ring to them (lol), but to take yourself... your voice... your point of view out of the equation because it might come off ass rude or not be the "polite thing" or PC thing is not the way to go.

Lesson Learned
I was given a voice. I plan to use it, without apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment