Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda! Damn it.

The Story
Here's the scoop, hopefully you can learn from my mistakes. I Didn't quite live up to my potential in the audition today. Yep, today was my BEBE audition. I hate when I know what I should be doing and I don't do it! AGH! knew I needed to regroup before I actually auditioned. I just got off the subway, the wind blew all through my hair and I needed to thaw out! So I already knew after signing in and getting the scripts I was heading to the ladies room to pull my look together. All of this is fine except there weren't that many actors there yet so they were going fast. So even though while in the bathroom I read the scripts out loud (which is also a must, I think) hear your voice, my main focus was to pull my look together. I did do my vocal warmups prior to leaving my apartment, but being out in the cold for traveling time can stricken your whole body fast so taking some time to loosen everything is a good idea. My main mistake was signing in before I'd loosened up. I'd just returned from the bathroom ready to pay full attention on my script. Well just as I sat down the casting director said MIMI JONES, and looked at me. She saw I just got back and asked did I need a minute. In the past, I would've said no, I'm ready. However, I'd learned it's completely fine to say you need a minute. So I was trying to pull it together, but then got in my head that I was taking to long and got up with all that rushed energy. UGH! I can see myself now! CAN'T I HAVE A DO OVER!!!! Now let me just say, I didn't suck lol, I did have a good vocal quality, good connection, (my look was nice... smh/lol), but I stumbled over some words and my handling of the script was not the greatest.

The Bigger Picture
This got me thinking about how people sabotage their success. Instead of going with what our instincts/guts tell us, we play out our choices based on what we perceive others need and want. (Okay maybe you don't, but I am definitely guilty of this). My reality is, I will never know what another person is thinking, so it's quite silly of me to change what I know is true for myself based on a perception. I do this again, not just in my acting career, but also in life. I think it stems from growing up being taught to be a nice and helpful. I always felt the best when I helped others... so somewhere along the line I guess I could say I have "people pleasing" tendencies. But the older I get I understand that sacrificing my own needs to please others in not what's up. What can I say, it's a work in progress.

Lesson
You live and you learn. I know what I need to do for next time, instead of doing what I think the casting director wants, do what I need to do for me to bring the best to the table.

The Networking Game
Tomorrow, I get to put today's lesson in use when I meet with Ashley Marshall, casting director at BETH MELSKY CASTING. If you didn't already know. BETH MELSKY CASTING, is definitely a commercial casting joint you want to know. They (especially Beth) are known for no nonsense, come with your A- game. So tomorrow I'm planting my seed so to speak.

Tips and Things I've heard that Work
1) I've heard that calling an "audition" something other then an "audition" tricks the brain so nervous energy doesn't mount up.

2) When going to an audition, don't think of it as you are auditioning for "that" role, think of it as you are planting a seed for future rolls. You are Building a relationship with that casting office so they know your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment