Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Back in Business

The Intro
A couple blogs ago I wrote about my plan of attack... a line up of meetings with Agents and Casting Directors to kick off the New Year with a bang. And the other day I've talked about doing the hard stuff/ facing my fears... Well tonight's meeting brought another opportunity to do just that.

The Story
I meet with Erica Palgon. She has been in casting for over 15 years and recently started her own casting office. When you sign up to do a seminar (a networking type meet/greet and showcase your work) there will be a breakdown of what you can showcase... it will be a commercial copy, a monologue or cold sides... For Erica, the breakdown said you could chose between a commercial or a comedic monologue. Seeing that this is my month to go hard at the commercial world, not to mention I haven't worked on my monologue in over 3-4 months, truth be told I don't even have it memorized well either.... so after the first person went... The Host informed all of us that Erica was only going to see monologues, she didn't care if they weren't "worked on" because of the confusion, but she can get a better idea of who we are based on a monologue vs commercial copy... I'm faced with a choice... do my monologue and get feedback on where I'm at right now... or leave. I chose the option that made my heart beat a little faster. I choose to do the monologue and get some feed back... and I did pretty good too, considering. More so I learned where I was at now... and the work I need to do.

Information from the Event
Erica definitely has great energy! She's all about motivating actors... she actually has a consulting company she built off of her work in casting over the years. She loves finding "un-tapped" talent... it gives her a kick.... that being said If your resume isn't the strongest she's one to meet! Plus she loves her job.


No comments:

Post a Comment