Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Follow Through...

The Set Up
I played basketball for a number of years growing up, and yes I was quite good... more so with defense (you definitely weren't taking me to the hole). I was great with assists and stealing the ball...all that was cool. However, when it comes to offense, well I could definitely drive the ball and okay so (not dunk) but do a really smooth lay-up, ANY ways... I could not do a jump shot to save my life! Could it have been the follow threw Hmmmmm.

The Story
In "showbiz" the business side deals with all types of follow throughs. When you meet with industry people (Casting Directors, Agents, Managers, Producer, Directors) your goal is to of course make it known that you are a talented actor, and spark interest (a friend once told me you have to make people care about you, still working on that and getting a little better though... being polite and modest are not always the best tools in this game) ... but besides this, you need to get some form of contact information to keep them updated on what you are doing. This is the Follow Threw. The follow threw in basketball last for seconds after you take a shot... however, after you take a "shot" in this industry... the follow through can last a lifetime.

Thus far I have about 10 industry personal to keep updated with what I am doing... any many many many more to met and build relationships with. For example, I have 2 print agents, both are consider tops in the print/commercial world here in NYC (Abrams Artist/ and CESD). I recently started working with Abrams as of January 2010, but I met them over 3 months ago... which I say only to show that just because someone is not calling you at lightening speed, doesn't mean they are not going to call you. However, every time I was put on hold or booked a project... a postcard went out to them informing them of my news.

Another example, I met with Craig Holzberg, owner of Avalon Artist Group (Bi-Coastal Agency) back in the fall of 2009, and about a week later I sent a Thank you note for his time, the meeting and his feedback... and about 3 weeks later I got a call from Erica Moran, the head of the commercial depart at Avalon asking for me to come in for a formal meeting... Now I freelance with them for commercials. BUT... the important part here is that the follow threw does not stop there... I still need to build that relationship. Keep her informed on what's new and good...

But these are a few of the times I was on my follow threw game... however, there are a number of times I fall short. Ideally I would like to set a time daily dedicate to only the "follow threw." And since getting my new apartment and having my "office space" set up I feel like I will be able to fill out this fantasy LOL...

The Bigger Picture
As I sit here at work, day dreaming about how I'm going to become an all-star player in terms of my "follow-threw", I think about how life is really made up of following through with things. Yesterday, I had a mini-breakdown, primarily because I had not followed through with what I needed to do. Sometimes, I get in a tiff with friends because I don't follow through with what I say I'm going to do... (I often have a good reason) but none-the-less, it's disappointing to them all the same. One boy, years ago (my friends know the story well), this dude actually had the nerve to call me a flake because of my follow through... or non-following through skills LOL/SMH... I still hold a place for him in my heart (well not quite heart, but you get the picture) because at that time in my life... he was right, I most certainly was a flake. I've come a long way since those days, but there is still room for needed improvement, whether it be in terms on my acting career, or my word, or my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment