Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Balancing Act

The Layout
The day started bright and early (okay not so early, more like 11ish) at the "office" looking for apartments to go check out... there were two potentials and both are a no go. This took from 11-4ish, very very time consuming! So from there I had a last minute go-see (print audition) for Regis... I am so crossing my fingers on this! I'd been to this casting house before it's called Lafayette House and it reminds you of Victorian styled bed a breakfast! Very Cozy and comfy, not to mention they remembered me from a casting I went to in the summer time and Raved about my "new look." Still with all the positive feedback you just never know what they want. From Apartment Hunting, to go-see's to networking! That's right the day didn't stop after the casting, my job (which is auditioning and networking) continued...

The Meeting
I met with Micheal Raymen, and agent at Don Buchwald and Associates (DBA). One of the top 5 commercial agents. As normal, got some good praises... and some critics. Lets go with the good stuff first. My copy (commercial script) was good, I had tons of great energy, and he enjoyed watching me! He said I was "entertaining and adorable"...score! Now with all that you'd think he'd wanna sign me... well only time will tell, but he did give me critics on the not so good parts... He said although the energy was high and great, it was a little all over the place and needs to be focused a little more. Note taken Mr. Raymen!

The Skinny on Micheal and DBA
From the Q/A portion, Micheal seems to know his job very well... he has been doing it for over 25 years. His memory is unbelievable (this means he's really good at his job) Below are some interesting facts...

1) They worked with signed clients only... meaning Commitment! Only DBA can send you out on Commercial Auditions.... they do not freelance. There are pro's and con's to signing and freelancing (there are many books about it) like whether to sign or not, when to sign etc. When you first start out, I would freelance to get a feel for the industry and who you like but when DBA wants to sign you... SIGN (if you have a decent to strong resume, that is)

2) They only send you out for union jobs! This can be a tricky situation especially for those just getting into the business or actors whose resumes aren't strong. (Strong resumes will typically have student or Indie films and reputable theatre on it, TV co-star and guest star roles, as well as reputable acting training on it) Once you join SAG you can't do non-union work... (I say this lightly, because there are ways you can do non-union jobs, and still be a SAG member but that's another whole blog) but normally speaking, you can not do non-union work when you join the union.

Why this is a tricky situation... Lets say you do book a SAG commercial and have to join SAG, but your resume is weak for Legit work (non- commercial jobs). Based on your weak resume, you probably won't be considered for the big resume building jobs because you appear not to be "ready" you have nothing on your resume that shows you can carry a Broadway show or no reel that show you act. However, because you are in the SAG Union, you can't do the non-union jobs that will give you more experience and build your resume because it conflicts with your union laws. Like I said... if your resume isn't the strongest yet, deciding to sign with a Agencies that only sends you out on Union jobs might not be the best place to start.

The Bigger Picture
As each day is passing in the New Year, I am getting back on track with pulling my life into alignment. There are many different areas that shape your complete life and it cannot be all work and no play... well at least it can't be for me. I need all areas of my life to be on point or at least headed in that direction. Today was a balancing act with personal life, my "audition life" also known as acting career and networking life. Tomorrow is filled with classes starting back, first day back on the "day job"...what I do for eats and keeps... and ending it off with another networking meet and greet seminar. The point is, as an Actor, BALANCE is at an all time high... you gotta be organized to handle your personal life outside of acting, and not let it effect or drain you professional life... as well as deal and be flexible with the high demands of this random world of show business. It's not easy, but the more you do it, the better you are at juggling the balls and if one happens to fall you're able to continue with the rest that haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment